Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Left Arm for a Belle Plate!

     Let me introduce you to someone.  This is my now 4-year-old niece (at least, she'll be 4 officially on the 23rd), Ashlyn.  Ashlyn likes princesses... a lot.  I don't think you quite get just how much this child likes princesses.  You know how you find a $20 bill in your pants pocket and it makes your whole day brighter even though it was your money all along?  Or how you head to bed, dog-tired, and you're dreading having to get up early the next morning for work and you remember tomorrow's Saturday and it immediately puts a smile on your face?  Or how you have a special day like your birthday, anniversary or a holiday and you get to have a huge piece of chocolate cake without any guilt at all and it tastes so much better because of it?  Yeah... it's like that, only it's about 10 times more.  The girl is seriously addicted to princesses.  I'm thinking of starting a support group for her, the poor thing.  Well, Ashlyn requested a Princess Belle party for her 4th birthday and, being the completely whipped adults that we are, we complied.

     Princess Belle, for the .0001% of you out there that don't know, is the princess in Disney's Beauty and the Beast movie.  From my limited research on her in preparation for this party, I learned that she is the favored princess out of all the Disney princesses, therefore you would think that Belle party supplies would be in great supply... you would be wrong.  Oh sure, you can get Disney princess party paraphernalia on about every street corner... they're like Starbucks... but that's just it, you get ALL the princesses, not one princess.  Ashlyn made it very clear that this was to be a Belle party and that other princesses were not invited.  Well, after many days of searching and several eye strains later, I came across a website that does, indeed, sell Belle-only party supplies.  Who's the best aunt ever?  That's right, I am.  For those of you that may find yourself in a similar situation, The Toy Hunt has a pretty good selection of (insert Disney princess here)-only party supplies.  Also, Sweet Treat Favors, has a good selection as well.  My pain, eye strains and all, is your gain!

     Wal-Mart put the finishing touches on our Belle party by supplying a great princess punch-out book full of confetti, character stand-ups, place mats, cup decorations, and more for a mere $8.  Some pink and yellow streamers around the room, Beauty and the Beast playing on the TV, princess confetti on the table, and one princess castle cake and we were ready to party!  Ashlyn did make one exception and allowed Princess Ariel (her other favorite) to be on the table as well.

     The party was a big success and Ashlyn LOVED the princess theme and her castle cake, which turned out to be a purse that she could keep... even better!  Being the great aunt that I am, I selflessly licked all of the icing off of the purse so that she could play with it.  The sacrifices I make to keep my niece happy!  With all this being said, I have just one question... what is the deal with little girls and princesses?!?!  It's the same with EVERY little girl between the ages of about 3 and 10... they LOVE them!  They go NUTS over them!  I'm convinced if Ashlyn was given the choice between all of her family members and Princess Belle, we'd see her happily skipping off, hand-in-hand, with Belle.  It's a sad truth... I've learned to accept it, so should you.  Now, Morgan is my first and she's only 7-months-old, so I'm not that experienced in the princess category yet, so for you moms out there with older girls, at what age did the princess bug bite your little princess?  For now, I'm happy with my little, not-so-graceful princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment